Psychiatric Technician - Inpatient - 7a to 7p - Muncie #4753
- Muncie, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Inpatient Psychiatry
- Complete benefits package offered
Want to make a difference in someone's life?
Join the Meridian Health Services team serving the community for over 35 years. We are a progressive healthcare organization specializing in "whole person" health integrating physical, mental, and social well-being.
Meridian Health Services is currently seeking a full time Psychiatric Technician for our Inpatient Psychiatric Unit located at IUBMH in Muncie, Indiana. This position works 7a to 7p. This is a great opportunity to make an impact in the lives of others.
- Attends to client's personal needs on Units (phone calls, clothing, laundry, exercise, etc.)
- Initiates and assists in client ADL's, including personal hygiene, feeding, incontinence, etc
- Encourages and engages clients in treatment, social, leisure, and recreational activities
- Utilizes therapeutic skills in interactions with clients, families, and visitors
- Keeps clients informed of their treatment plan objectives and progress
- Able to set therapeutic guidelines with clients for destructive, disorganized, deviant, dysphoric, or dependent behaviors
- Demonstrates competency in taking vital signs, obtaining urine specimens, assisting with nursing tasks under Unit Nurse directions
- Demonstrates reporting accurate information to the Unit Nurse regarding observations which include client behaviors, reactions to illness, medications, detox symptoms, allergic reactions, pain, fall risk, and suicide risk
- Functions within parameters specified by nursing care plans, multi-disciplinary treatment plans, and general therapeutic goals, including cultural and age-specific needs
- Functions as role model to enhance development of appropriate social skills
- Communicates in a respectful, clear, and direct manner with all Hospital staff, clients, and visitors
- Demonstrates clear and therapeutic written communications, including charting, COS report, Kardex, etc
- Maintains Unit supplies and documentation up to date: (juices, utensils, chart forms, vital sign/shower/admission log)
- Maintains Unit cleanliness, order, and routines as established by Hospital, Program and nursing policy and procedure
- Completes psychiatric technician's responsibilities for admission and discharge correctly and thoroughly
- Informs supervisor, coworkers, and treatment team members of all concerns, interactions, and/or behaviors of clients' welfare
- Demonstrates knowledge of safety/security issues, including P.I's, C.O.'s, locked doors, closets, cupboards, emergency codes, CPI/restraints (physical/verbal)
- Effectively conducts Unit/Room searches and scheduled Unit rounds, and recognizes importance of interventions:
- Maintains awareness of potential risks for clients/staff, including privilege levels and need for supervision/monitoring (C.O.'s, 1:1, Constant Eye, etc.)
- Notifies appropriate departments, supervisors, Unit nurse, treatment team members of potential hazards to client, staff, and/or visitors
- Takes appropriate measures to intervene in client risky behaviors (Suicidal, elopement, aggression, etc), with Hospital approved verbal/physical skills
- Reads and signs off on all Observations sheets, Assignment sheet tasks, and other checklist binder entries
- Documents specific detailed observations, behaviors and interventions on assigned patients
- Documents vital signs, height, weight, participation in electronic health record of assigned patients efficiently and in a timely manner
- Competent in electronic health record documentation
- Demonstrates proper Universal Precautions and infectious control protocols
- Responds to codes and participates at level of training and experience
- Maintains required certifications for position and Units (CPR, Age Specific Competencies, etc.)
- Attends and participates in mandatory in-services
- Participates in Quality Improvement for Hospital and Programs (non-mandatory meetings/in-services)
- Manages breaks/lunches within Hospital guidelines
- Demonstrates attendance and punctuality within Hospital guidelines
- Participates in and assists with Activity Therapy sessions on Units
- Understands and observes confidentiality
- Performs other duties as assigned
We are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
- Graduate of an accredited high school or its equivalent.
- Previous inpatient psychiatric or nursing home experience desirable.
- At least 18 years of age at completion of orientation.
Meridian Health Services provides the following benefits:
- Health, dental, vision plans
- Merit Based Compensation Plan
- 401k with company contribution
- Voluntary benefits, including critical illness, short term disability, etc.
- Generous PTO plan
- Wellness plan
- Professional development funds
- Life balance oriented organization
Drug screen, extensive background check, and fingerprinting are required.
Meridian Health Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and also participates in E-Verify.