Community Health Worker - Bluffton #25827
- Bluffton, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Medical Services
- Complete Benefits Package Offered
Want to make a difference in someone's life?
Join the Meridian Health Services team serving the community for over 35 years. We are a progressive healthcare organization specializing in "whole person" health integrating physical, mental, and social well-being.
Meridian Health Services is currently seeking a full time Community Health Worker for our Bluffton, Indiana location. The Community Health Worker (CHS) is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of and/or has a remarkably close understanding of the culture of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the CHW to serve as a liaison between health and social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery. Community health workers provide outreach, education, referral and follow-up, case management, advocacy, and home visiting services. This position works Monday - Friday 8a - 5p.
- Conduct intensive outreach efforts to uninsured and underinsured individuals and other high risk populations living in the community to help individuals receive health care services.
- Provide culturally appropriate and accessible health education and information.
- Help health care and social service systems become culturally relevant and responsive to the target population.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with chronically ill patients, pregnant women, nursing mothers, individuals at high-risk of health problems, and the elderly during home visits.
- Help people understand their health condition(s) and develop strategies to improve their health and well-being.
- Provide basic health education to families on a range of topics including lead poisoning prevention, STD & HIV risk factors and measures to prevent transmission, risk factors associated with prenatal substance abuse (including tobacco), domestic violence, family planning, breastfeeding and other important health topics.
- Ensure parents understand the need for children to receive immunizations and regular health care and promote their understanding of normal child development.
- Help families address such issues as completing high school, selecting appropriate childcare and handling multiple demands of work/school and child rearing.
- Assist families to develop the necessary skills and social capital to improve their health status, lifestyle choices, family functioning and self-sufficiency (i.e. insurance, food, housing, quality care, health information).
- Provide informal counseling, social support, and follow-up.
- Advocate for individuals and communities within the health and social service systems.
- Build individual and community capacity to address the specific needs of the community.
- Facilitate communication and patient empowerment in interactions with health care/social services systems.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
- High School Diploma or GED
- One (1) year experience in Health Care required
- Certified Community Health Care Worker preferred
- 2 years experience in a healthcare setting also preferred
- Must be exceptionally knowledgeable of local community resources
Meridian Health Services provides the following benefits:
- Health, dental, vision plans
- Merit Based Compensation Plan
- Voluntary benefits, including critical illness, short term disability, etc.
- 401k with company contribution
- Generous PTO plan
- Wellness plan
- Paid Holidays
- Life balance oriented organization
Drug test, extensive background check, fingerprinting also required.
Meridian Health Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and also participates in E-Verify.